Caol Rona to Sconser

Homeward bound down the east coast of Raasay
April 24th
It had been a windy night - strong gusts rattled the tents, no-one slept soundly. Peeking out of the doorway at 7.45am the Caol Rona had lots of white capped waves - not an inviting  prospect.

We now planned to journey back down the east coast of Raasay, abandoning earlier ideas of exploring the west coast - that could wait for another day. The forecast was proving very accurate, lets hope it would continue to be, calmer conditions predicted for early afternoon.
On cue the wind did die down, the seas moderated and we had a high tide, which meant no long and tricky carry down seaweed rocks with heavy kayaks. It was 11.30am when we left.
Good to see Elizabeth had fully recovered from her bug. Interesting to watch clothes adjustment on the water, always the chance of a capsize, keep the camera ready!
It had proved to be an ideal camp spot from which to explore the surrounding area.
The water was crystal clear. We could see the seaweed covered rocks on the seabed below us.
Alan's yellow Scorpio was an intense colour compared to muted greens and browns in our bay.
It was a day of grey, flat lighting...
apart from Alan's luminous kayak.
Andy and Elizabeth appeared to be enjoying each others company.
The sheer scale of the rocks is difficult to grasp, Ian is dwarfed by the rugged coastline.
Andy had spied a bright patch of colour among the huge boulders of a fallen cliff, and after a difficult landing, clambered up to investigate.
We thought it would be a barrel or buoy tossed up by a winter storm.
Well, well, the saying goes, if he fell in the Clyde he'd come up with a salmon in his pocket.
The locals kept an eye on us.
So now you know why we carry tow ropes. We had a started out as five now we were six!
At Brochel a very late lunch was taken, what a change in sea conditions. Passing a few days previously this had been a difficult beach to land on due to small surf.
The sun came out and everyone cheered up, it was turning out to be a cracking day.
Hallaig waterfall was again visited, it's an impressive sight.
Ian dodged around the main'd never guess he's also a white water man.
Elizabeth decided to have her first shower in days.....
The water came in pulses, look carefully and you'll see one at the top of the picture.
Reluctantly we headed back past North and South Fearns - the weather again changing, the threat of rain never far away. Approaching Eyre Point was choppy, probably tide, wind and the headland combining to test us at the end of a long paddle.
Rounding the point, everything calmed down in the Caol Mor and we made our last stop on Rassay at the old Suisnish ferry ramp, and yes the weed really is bright 'GREEN'
It's also very, very slippy on the slipway.......! 
The paddle across to mainland Skye, back to Sconser, was lovely. The wind had dropped and the tide was at its weakest flow, just as well - we were bushed. 

Alan and Ian packed up and headed home - arriving back in the wee small hoursAndy, Elizabeth and Bill returned to Ashaig campsite. 

Tomorrow would involve a visit to the Broadford Police to report finding and recovering a kayak - but that's another story!

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Did this tour in an inflatable rib boat years ago.Amazing Island to tour round.Be Even wilder in Kayaks.Hallaig is a real hidden gem of a place.